Handley Page Herald
A contemporary of the Bae 748 and Fokker F-27 Friendship, the Handley Page Herald was an unsuccessful endeavor at giving a substitution to the pervasive Douglas DC-3.
The Herald was outlined by Handley Page's Reading office, which was some time ago the Miles Aircraft Company. Looking somewhat like the more diminutive and more established Miles Marathon, the Herald initially was controlled by four 650kw (870hp) Alvis Leonides Major spiral cylinder motors.
Handley Page enhanced the Herald plan for operations from immature landing strips with administrators which it thought would lean toward cylinder instead of turbine force. The main Herald model flew on August 25 1955, a second flew on August 3 1956.
On the other hand, by now the Vickers Viscount had demonstrated the dependability and conservative operation of turboprops and thus Handley Page settled on the choice to switch to turboprops in May 1957. Both of the first cylinder controlled models were changed over with two Rollsroyce Darts set up of the four Alvis Leonides Majors. The principal flight of a Herald in the new setup happened on March 11 1958. The principal Series 100 generation Herald flew shockingly on October 30 1959.
Just four Series 100s were assembled before creation exchanged to the bigger limit and extended (by 1.09m/3ft 7in) Series 200 in late 1961. The model 200 flew surprisingly on April 8 1961 and it turned into the significant creation model. The main other Herald subsidiary constructed was the Series 400, a military adaptation of the 200 for Malaysia, which took conveyance of eight.
The Herald neglected to pull in any critical deals achievement, its poor deals further helping the decay of Handley Page. Envoy creation stopped in August 1968, while Handley Page crumpled in late 1969.
In 1998 Channel Express in the UK worked the last Herald in administration. Enlisted G-BEYF, it was resigned in March 1999.
Pictures of Handley Page Herald