Aerospatiale N-262 Fregate & Mohawk 298
N-262 can be traced back to the Max Holste Super Broussard project which flew on its maiden flight on July 29 1960 as the MH-260. N-262 manufacturing was stopped in 1976.
The MH-250 prototype was flown for the first time on May 20 1959 and was powered by Pratt & Whitney Wasp piston radial. Only 10 MH-260’s were produced by Nord (used by Air Inter and Norway's WiderÃ¶e). It was later redesigned in 1961, with design improvements featuring a fuselage with a circular cross section, pressurisation and more powerful powerplants. This paved way for the Nord N-262, which has its maiden flight on December 24 1962.
The N-262 was produced in four variant designs. The N-262A with a TurbomÃ©ca Bastan VIC engine; N-262B (Air Inter request led to four special conversions), with Bastan VI engines; the N-262C Fregate with an enhanced Bastan VIIC engine and wider wing span; and the N-262D Fregate, used by the French Air Force.
After the incorporation of Nord and Sud, the N-262 was produced as the unit of Aerospatiale from 1970 onwards.
In the 70’s, the US based commercial airline Allegheny Airlines significantly upgraded the N-262s through its subsidiary firm, the Mohawk Air Services. The N-262 was converted by Frakes Aviation, which produced it as the result of a sub-contractual agreement. The design variant thus produced was called the Mohawk 298 (the name being derived from the FAA FAR Part 298 airworthiness regulation). The N-262 was improved by making use of an enhanced Pratt & Whitney Canada PT6A-45 turboprops with five blade props, new avionics and a new APU.
Mohawk 298 flew for the first time on January 7 1975, while the last of nine converted was in 1978.
Pictures of Aerospatiale N-262 Fregate & Mohawk 298